From the FieldThe State of Maine Department of Education’s Maine Learning Technology Initiative (MLTI) led a multi-state effort to undertake the procurement process for equipment and services to empower a wireless student-centered, digital learning environment. The multi-state effort was coordinated with participating National Association of State Procurement Officials (NASPO) members on an as-requested basis, at various locations throughout the geographic regions of all participating NASPO members. Request for Proposals (RFP) #201210412 is for the purchase of the aforementioned goods and services. The site includes the pricing on winning proposals.
- Aligning the learning goals from the school’s strategic or school improvement plan to the device implementation plan.
- Assessing the professional learning needs for teachers and students both for hardware training and implementation for digital learning instruction.
- Analyzing the impact of the various device options and the number of planned devices on the networks, broadband and Wi-Fi systems.
- Comparing the direct device costs but also costs for any new software and the cost for tech support plan options.
- Verifying the compatibility of new devices with current devices and other technologies such as projectors, printers and interactive whiteboards. Compatibility issues potentially can require additional new purchases and training.
- Gauging the capacity of the tech support staff based on the device options and any requirements related to the implementation of new tech support systems.